Jefferson County Attorney Mike O’Connell has earned his way to the fall election after winning Tuesday’s primary.
But Democratic attorney Karen Faulkner had an impressive showing for a first-time candidate who was out spent by a 5-to-1 margin.
O’Connell’s lead held steady the whole night and won by 10 points in the final tally, but he says that Faulkner receiving 45 percent of the vote is not a sign that people are unhappy with him.
“I don’t think that’s the case at all,” he says. “It was a good strong race, everybody ran hard and the numbers are what they are. I think it’s been an affirmation for our office going forward and I look forward to serving the members of our community.”
During her campaign, Faulkner alleged O’Connell acted unethically during his time in office, and he upset some judges when he wrote them a letter regarding their leniency on DUI cases.
“Almost half of the community was ready to see this change. A change that I believe was needed in the county attorney’s office,” says Faulkner.
O’Connell was appointed to the County Attorney position in 2008. He was later elected to the position.
Faulkner says she’s proud of the results and is not disappointed.
Here are the winners from Jefferson County’s 30th Judicial Circuit elections:
- Angela Johnson: “Family Court” 1st Division
- Tara Hagerty: “Family Court” 5th Division
- A. Christine Ward: “Family Court” 6th Division
- Denise Brown: “Family Court” 7th Division
- Deana “Dee” McDonald: “Family Court” 8th Division
- Annette Karem: District Judge, 1st Division
- Amber B. Wolf: District Judge, 2nd Division
- James Michael Green: District Judge, 12th Division