The Louisville Visual Art Association pays tribute to three decades in their historic Water Tower headquarters with its final exhibit in that building. Art Envoy opens Friday with a free reception. The show pairs artists from a foundational exhibit with members of the younger generation of Louisville artists.
In 1981, the Louisville Visual Art Association hosted “Showcase 25,” its first major group show at the Water Tower. Many of the artists from that showcase have remained active in the city’s art community, like Bob Lockhart, founder of the art program at Bellarmine University. For Art Envoy, 18 of those artists selected a younger Louisville artist to show alongside them in the Water Tower’s final exhibit.
Executive director Shannon Westerman says Art Envoy honors those foundational artists who worked closely with LVAA throughout the last 32 years.
“It’s a way of recognizing that commitment and the experience provided to the community,” says Westerman. “Many of them are educators now, many are still creating art and selling it, and many have become icons in this city.”
Westerman says the younger roster of artists also have strong connections to the organization and the Louisville arts landscape.
“These are folks who have had exposure and experience through LVAA and the community,” says Westerman. “We’ve helped nurture a lot of these young artists.”
Art Envoy runs through October 7, when the LVAA will move into interim headquarters on West Main Street while they search for a new permanent home. Westerman says LVAA is also looking for gallery space nearby to host shows during their interim stay downtown.
- James S. Adams and Michael O’Bannon
- Peter Bodnar III and Gibbs Rounsavall
- Gayle Cerlan and Georgia Henkel
- Ann S. Coates and Grace Nation
- Michael Dwyer and Lora Gettlefinger
- Leslie Friesen and Andrew Spalding
- Kay Polson Grubola and Douglas Miller
- Michael E. Kirk and Matthew Ronay
- Julia Wirick and Andrew Cozzens
- Cal Kowal and Anita Douthat
- Robert Lockhart and Teresa Koester Mills
- Fred DiFrenzi and Jonathan Swanz
- Jacque Parsley and Kathleen Lolley
- C.J. Pressma and Aron Conoway
- Arturo Alonzo Sandoval and Christine Levitt
- Albert E. Sperath and Daniel Pfalzgraf
- Ted Wathen and Ross Gordon
- Neisja Yenawine and Philip Yenawine