Mon October 21, 2013
Pre-Registration For Louisville's Home Energy Subsidy Program Resumes This Week
Louisville Metro will re-open pre-registration for its Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, LIHEAP, this Wednesday after closing the program last week during the federal government shutdown.
Officials said the shutdown caused a lapse in appropriations to the program and that the remaining pre-registration opportunities in October would be closed. Louisville Metro's Department of Community Services and Revitalization announced Monday that it would reopen pre-registration this month, and the several furloughed LIHEAP employees would are back to work.
LIHEAP serves around 11,000 county residents during its subsidy phase by sending payments directly to energy companies to help pay for the costs during cold winter months.
Officials estimate that payments will begin mid-November. All eligible individuals will be allowed to register next month.
Here are the remaining pre-registration dates and times:
- Wed., Oct. 23: Shawnee Arts & Cultural Center, 607 S. 37th St., Lou., KY 40211, 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Thurs., Oct. 24: South Louisville Community Center, 2911 Taylor Blvd., Lou., KY 40208, 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Fri., Oct. 25: Wilderness Road, 8111 Blue Lick Rd., Lou., KY 40219, 1:30-3:30 p.m. (check time)
Applicants must be willing to provide the following documentation:
- Picture ID for head of household (if available)
- Proof of all household income for the preceding month (food stamp award letter, pay stubs, etc.). All individuals 18 or over in the household with no income must have a Proof of No Income form completed prior to applying for benefits. (Available at the CAP office at 810 Barret or at http://www.louisvilleky.gov/CSR/Community+Services/LIHEAP.htm)
- Social Security card(s) or official documentation with social security numbers or Permanent Resident Card Numbers for everyone living in the household.
- Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that heating expenses are included in the rent (i.e. lease agreements).