Local News
12:46 pm
Thu January 24, 2013

Update: Indiana First Lady Undergoing Emergency Surgery

3:02pm update from the governor's office:

Indianapolis - First Lady Karen Pence is out of surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. The First Lady will be recuperating at home over the weekend and is looking forward to resuming her scheduled activities sometime in the next week.
 
Governor Mike Pence issued the following statement:

"Karen and I are both grateful for the prayers and concern expressed by so many Hoosiers over the past 24 hours and for the professionalism of the medical personnel who diagnosed and performed her surgery. We are all fortunate to have such dedicated health care professionals serving the people of Indiana."

Mrs. Pence began to experience abdominal pain yesterday. Doctors at the St. Vincent Medical Center Northeast emergency room determined that she needed to undergo surgery today to remove her gall bladder. This morning, she had outpatient surgery at the Naab Road Surgery Center on the north side of Indianapolis.

The governor's office says Indiana first lady Karen Pence is having emergency gall bladder surgery today after experiencing abdominal pain a day earlier.

Gov. Mike Pence canceled a planned trip to southern Indiana to stay with his wife.

Pence spokeswoman Kara Brooks says Karen Pence is having the operation at an outpatient surgery center in Indianapolis. Brooks didn't immediately have other details about the surgery but expected to provide an update later today.

The governor had been scheduled to attend events in Jeffersonville and Evansville, followed by a speech at a Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce dinner.

The Pences have been married since 1985 and have three grown children.