An annual six state cleanup of the banks of the Ohio River is scheduled for Saturday.
The Ohio River Sweep extends the entire length of the river, from Pittsburgh to Cairo, Illinois. At the annual event, volunteers collect trash along the shoreline. Jefferson County’s cleanup usually nets about 40 tons of trash.
There are six Louisville area locations for the cleanup:
• Hays Kennedy Park – 7003 Beachland Beach Road
• Juniper Beach Area – 5230 Upper River Road (Harrods Creek Fire Station)
• Carrie Gaulbert Cox Park – 3730 River Road
• Eva Bandman Park – 1701 River Road
• Shawnee Park – W Market Street, between Northwestern Parkway and Fontaine Landing Court
• Riverview Park – 8202 Greenwood Road (Greenwood Road and Cane Run Road)
Louisville MSD, the Louisville Water Company and Louisville Gas & Electric are coordinating the Jefferson County events, which are sponsored by the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission (ORSANCO). Volunteers will be supplied with gloves, trash bags, and a commemorative T-shirt.