Metro Council members will interview 11 candidates to fill the vacant District 25 seat at a special meeting Monday afternoon.
David Yates resigned his seat on the council earlier this month because he now serves in the state senate, representing District 37.
District 25 encompasses some of Louisville’s South End, including the neighborhoods of Valley Station and Pleasure Ridge Park, and attractions such as the Southwest Regional Library.
In the past, council members would conduct in-person interviews with candidates hoping to fill a vacancy. This year, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, things will be a bit different, with applicants calling in to a video conference.
The last time council members went through the process of filling a vacancy was in late 2017, that time for District 21.
Following applications and interviews, whichever candidate receives the most votes will be sworn in to serve out the rest of the term. There are two years left in Yates’ term, with the District 25 seat returning to the ballot in 2022.
The full council will vote to fill the seat at Thursday evening’s meeting.
Here are the 11 applicants for the District 25 seat:
- Carol Tacoma Nord, executive director at the Nativity Academy at St. Boniface
- Andrew Peckat, engineer at Sypris Technologies and MXD Process
- Scott Bieber, regional senior culinary manager at Sodexo
- Amy Holton Stewart, former Family Resource and Youth Service Center coordinator for Pleasure Ridge Park High School and Greenwood Elementary
- Khalil Batshon, owner and manager of Khalil’s a restaurant in Valley Station
- Amy Lannan, national key account manager for Texas-based cigarette manufacturer KT&G USA
- Katie M. Brophy, lawyer and former candidate for state senate District 37
- Tamesha D. Muir, senior analyst at Aetna Better Health of Kentucky
- William F. “Freddie” Logsdon, operations manager at Wright Implement, a John Deere dealership in Shepherdsville
- Stephen P. Ryan, lawyer and former judge for Jefferson Circuit and District courts
- Michele Butler Heuglin, community engagement operations manager at Passport Health Plan