Metro Louisville

Jefferson County Public Schools students in a bus accident Tuesday morning will be returning home from the hospital by the end of the day. 

“We know that everyone is going to be healthy. There are some injuries I know, but at least we are very thankful in the end all students will be able to go home before the end of the day today,” JCPS Superintendent Marty Pollio said at a press conference at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Bus No. 2015 was carrying 21 students to duPont Manual High School and Noe Middle School, according to JCPS spokespeople. Contrary to initial reports, no students from Meyzeek Middle School were on board at the time of the accident. 

JCPS spokesperson Carolyn Callahan said the bus hydroplaned and rolled over on Interstate Highway 64 West a little after 7 a.m.

First responders on the scene suggested all students should be checked out by medical personnel, she said. 

“We have 17 students who are being checked out at local hospitals and at this point, I’m being told that none of the injuries are severe,” Callahan said at a news conference shortly before 9 a.m. 

Callahan the bus driver is also “OK.” The bus driver is a 17 years veteran driver according to JCPS chief operations officer Chris Perkins.

Perkins said that based on preliminary review the bus hydroplaned and the driver responded properly. 

Students were transported to three area hospitals: Norton Children’s Hospital downtown, Norton Children’s Medical Group on Brownsboro Road and Norton Women’s and Children’s Hospital on Dutchmans Lane.

Callahan said Emergency Medical Services transported students to the hospitals. Some parents arrived on the scene to take their children for evaluation, she said. 

Callahan said parents and guardians can contact the schools where their children are enrolled to get more information. Principals have a list of students and the hospitals where they are receiving care, she said.

“We also have crisis communication team members heading to each of the hospitals right now to help out with families,” Callahan said.

The St. Matthews Police Department will handle the investigation of the accident. 

The bus has been towed back to a JCPS bus compound where it will sit in case it is needed for the police’s investigation.

Breya Jones is the Breaking News Reporter for WFPL.