Kentucky’s Council on Post Secondary Education will launch a website this week to help students who are transferring from community and technical colleges to four-year universities.

“They would start at community colleges and then a good deal of their course work would not transfer toward the degree,” said Rep. Carl Rollins, D-56.

The called “Know How 2 Transfer” is  a result of 2010 legislation, HB 160, sponsored by Rollins. The law creates better consistency among general education courses in community and technical colleges.  This should make it easier for students to understand which credits will follow them, said Rollins.

“All the community colleges had different course numbering systems for the same course. So this required the community college system to create a common course numbering system,” he said.

The state’s 16 community and technical colleges and over 60 campuses are nearly finished deciding which of their general education courses will transfer to 4-year colleges, said officials from the Council on Post Secondary Education.