Gov. Mike Pence says he is telling all state agencies to suspend the resettlement of additional Syrian refugees in Indiana following the deadly attacks in Paris.
Pence issued a statement Monday saying he was putting all resettlements on hold until assurances from the federal government that proper security measures have been met. He says Indiana has a long tradition of opening its arms and homes to refugees, but as governor it’s his first responsibility to ensure the safety and security of Indiana residents.
He says the policy will remain in effect until the state of Indiana receives assurances from the federal government that proper security measures are in place.
Officials say Friday’s gun and bomb attacks by terrorists killed more than 120 people.
Some experts say governors lack the authority to stop the refugees from resettling in their states. Still, several other U.S. governors besides Pence have responded similarly to the attacks.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has ordered his state’s refugee resettlement program not to accept any more Syrians. And he’s urging the White House to scrap federal plans to accept more Syrian refugees into the country.
Fellow Republican Gov. Robert Bentley of Alabama said yesterday he would refuse Syrian refugees relocating to the state, since it would put citizens “in harm’s way.”
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal — a GOP presidential contender — said he wants more information from the White House “in hopes that the night of horror in Paris is not duplicated here.” He’s demanding to know how many Syrian refugees have been resettled in his state.
In Arkansas, Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson tweeted a statement saying he opposes Syrian refugees being relocated to his state.
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder had been welcoming refugees to Michigan, which has a large Arab-American population. But he said yesterday that the state is postponing efforts to accept refugees until federal officials fully review security procedures and clearances.
(Image via Gage Skidmore/Creative Commons)